What happens when you want to build something great, but you don't totally have a clear picture of what you want in your head? Well you jump in and start building and make it up as you go along.
Now read through and check out the pictures. Be sure to comment and tell me everything I did wrong ;)
First I knew I was going to need some sort of base and structure for a hexagon shaped platform. I got some treated 2x12's and some concrete deck blocks as well as some 4x4 posts.
The basic perimeter and location in the yard. Basically to cover up this section that was laid in by the previous home owner. The steel frame pictured is a unit I bought on clearance for about $100. This is the basis for the size and structure of the Gazebo. As you notice I have a slope to the yard. I used blocks to find level for the perimeter and then cut the legs to length accounting for the height of the deck blocks.
I found the center-line and measured for the cut of the first joist. Basically measure and cut for each successive joist. Attached using joist hangers. Carriage bolts for the 4x4 posts to support the center.
16 inch on center is what I used for the spacing of the joists.
Laying the redwood deck boards. I am not skilled enough to do any fancy pattern so I choose a direction and laid them out leaving an appropriate space between for water/snow to flow through. I used deck screws to fasten them.
I snapped a chalk line and used my circular saw to cut off the excess.
I used a 40 grit flap disc to just hand bevel the ends after the cut just to take off the sharp edge. I suppose I could have used my router and put a specific round over profile, but this was quick.
Installing the stairs. I just bought pre-cut stair stringers and used joist hangers (not shown) to attache them.
Gazebo frame positioned on the deck.
Nailing up the lattice for skirting. So far it has lasted quite well with stain. I may replace it with something else in the future when it breaks down.
Obviously I had to cut it to fit the contour of the yard.
Almost finished. After the appropriate time I sprayed a stain and water protection. The metal frame is screwed and bolted to the deck. Still need to figure out a roofing system. I added bracing and gussets to the metal frame where needed just to increase the rigidity for the roofing system. The metal frame is also weighted pretty heavy as in the next picture you will notice I added some cast iron decorative panels to fill in the bare spaces around the rear of the frame.
Pretty much finished. I made a top out of used corrugated sheet tin cut in triangles and sheet metal screwed to the existing frame. The large panels are custom sewn semi-trailer tarp material, very heavy and durable. Grommets installed and at the top and the bottom. Tarp panels attached via carabiner clamps at the top and ball stretch cords for the bottom. The elasticity of the ball cords allow for enough movement when things get windy. It has taken high winds like a champ.
Jon "the junk man" helping to promote responsible riding and recreation whether it be at the track or at the trail. Your source for motorcycle how to videos and much more!